Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Return of the King

I have tickets to see the latest Lord of the Rings movie tomorrow night when it opens in New York. I'm going with ten other people, including my roommate Tim, who's also a major fan. I first read the book (it was meant to be published as one volume, and interestingly, I read it as one volume) back in the 7th std. in R.V. (I was 11 years old). I still remember carrying around this huge volume everywhere I went, and it took me a few months to read the whole thing from cover to cover, including the appendices. I have been a huge fan of the series ever since, and I re-read the books every few years. I recently bought a new copy of the book, and have been thumbing through it every so often to refer to sections to compare with how Peter Jackson has visualized them.

I was anticipating the release of the films ever since I heard they were making them, and was hoping beyond hope for them to be good. I didn't care about box-office success, or anything like that - all I wanted to know was whether the films would live up to the books, or whether they'd be an insult. Thankfully, Peter Jackson had fans like me in mind while making these films, and we have not been disappointed in the least. I specifically stayed in the U.S. for the release of The Fellowship of the Ring (my parents wanted me in India, but I told them they could wait!), and loved it. After seeing the extended editions of Fellowship and The Two Towers, I have to say that these are some of the best films I have ever seen!

Tim and I had some problems getting tickets for opening night, but we refused to wait for another night, and persevered. So now we have tickets, and I've got to say, I am racked with anticipation. I have goosebumps and butterflies and everything else you can think of, and am very nervous. The reviews are extremely positive, and I am sure this movie will be a masterpiece. Oh man, I can't wait for tomorrow!!

No comments: